Wednesday 4 January 2012

Creative Christmas

Rosie and her Doll
I haven't written in months, not because the creativity has dried up but because it has been flowing in abundance and I haven't had a chance to catch up with myself. Between all the Christmas presents I have made and taking care of the new baby (and the rest), I just didn't have a moment to record any off it. However  I couldn't let it go without putting up some pictures of the presents I made for my two youngest. I have caught the knitting bug lately and have even found myself a guru, an ICA member and knitter extraordinaire. She even has had her work hanging in the Aras!! That is a serious badge of honour.

I found myself an enchanting book a few months back that really captured my imagination. It is called "Toymaking with Children" by Freya Jaffke (2003, Floris Books). The author basis all her designs and toys on the Steiner philosophy. The book emphasises the different phases of childhood and the nature of play. It explains how the simplest of toys are often the best as they allow the child to use more of their own imagination instead of allowing the toy to do all the work.

I picked out a simple knitted doll for the baby and also a knitted farm for my son. Both have gone down really well but already the mane has been ripped from the horse and the dolly's head is being pulled out a bit far from her body. I think it adds to the charm and I absolutely loved making them. As basic as they are, for me it was a real challenge to figure out the patterns and to get them made when everyone was in bed.


The Farm

I am finding that I am beginning to be sucked into the charm of crafts. Where before I think I was a bit of a snob, thinking that only fine art had any real artistic merit I am beginning to see the error of my ways and really embracing the skill and creativity involved in craft. When fine art was historically the domain of men, women found their creative outlet through their craft work. For many women creativity had to be built into every day life and the outcome needed a practical merit. I have seen the dept of skill that many women have and disregard as useless or would never give their creative input into a textile or knitted project much thought. This is a train of thought that I am hoping to continue in the coming months with one of my women's groups, exploring creativity in crafts.

No comments: