Thursday 9 June 2011

I am for an art.......


I have been reading up a little on Claes Oldenburg. His sculptures were so clever and funny, they really can put a smile on your face. I can imagine walking down the street and seeing an ice-cream cone on top of a building. I thought I would share the rest of the quote I used in my last entry. I wont include the full writings as it is very long, but I am sure you will get the gist of it.

Claes Oldenburg (b. 1929) from Documents from The Store

I am for an art that is political-erotical-mystical, that does something other than sit on it's ass in a museum.
I am for an art that grows up not knowing it is art at all, an art given the chance of having a starting point of zero.
I am for an art that embroils itself with the everyday crap and & still comes out on top.
I am for an art that imitates the human, that is comic, if necessary, or violent, or whatever is necessary.

I am for an art that takes it's forms from the lines of life itself, that twists and extends and accumulates and spits and drips, and is heavy and coarse and blunt and sweet and stupid as life itself.

I am for an artist who vanishes, turning up in a white cap and painting signs or highways.

I am for an art that comes out of a chimney like black hair and scatters in the sky.
I am for an art that spills out of an old man's purse when he is bounced off a passing fender.
I am for a art out of a doggy's mouth, falling five stories from the roof.
I am for an art that a kid licks, after peeling away the wrapper.
I am for an art that joggles like everyones knees, when the bus traverses an excavation.

I am for an art that is smoked like a cigarette, smells, like a pair of shoes.
I am for an art that flaps like a flag, or helps blow noses, like a handkerchief.

I am for the art of conversation between the sidewalk and a blind man's metal stick.
...........

What sort of art are you for?

No comments: