Monday 12 September 2011

Community Sculpture - Update


My Wabi Sabi Sphere


I have been very busy of late, our baby was born three weeks ago so my motivation to update the blog has been taken away by a very cute little girl. I was unable to get the sculpture into the cathedral for July so I am hoping to have it in for October. I did however have it displayed in the local gallery during the festival, where it got a great response.
To be honest I had my doubts, doubts in buckets. I wasn't sure if anyone would quite get what I was trying to do or what the Wabi Sabi Sphere meant. I also was worried that no one would turn up to the workshops. But most of all I didn't know how I was going to pull it off in the end. What was it going to look like? After a short little meltdown in a room full of styrofoam painted balls and 30 metres of tangled wire, I called in my ever helpful husband and two designer friends for consultation. Once I got my head in the right place I was able to pull it all together in a very short time. The result is the long intertwining piece that can be hung in different places and manipulated into different forms. I must say I felt very proud when it was hung in the gallery.

Below are some images from the workshops and gallery.
Community Workshop

Children's Workshop
Jess the Artist
If anyone is interested in how I made the sculpture drop me a line and I will give you all the details and list of materials.

No comments: